10 Women Who Changed Science and the World
Read about the lives, passions and challenges of 10 brilliant female scientists who broke barriers and changed the world.
A fascinating collection of the moving biographies of 10 female physicists, biologists, chemists, astronomers and doctors. Breaking stereotypes, they helped to shape our world with their extraordinary breakthroughs, inventions, and remarkable achievements.
Overcoming significant obstacles, these remarkable women were driven to cure previously incurable diseases, disprove existing theories or discover new sources of energy. Some were rewarded with the Nobel Prize for their pioneering achievements -Madame Curie, twice - others were not and, even if they had been, many are still not the household names they should be.
These resilient women persevered with their research, whether creating life-saving drugs or expanding our knowledge of the cosmos. By daring to ask 'How?' and 'Why?' and overcoming massive challenges and prejudices, each of these women has helped to make the world a better place.
- Henrietta Leavitt (United States, Astronomy)
- Lise Meitner (Austria, Physics)
- Chien-Shiung Wu (United States, Physics)
- Marie Curie (France, Chemistry)
- Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin (United Kingdom, Chemistry)
- Virginia Apgar (United States, Medicine)
- Gertrude Elion (United States, Medicine)
- Rita Levi-Montalicini (Italy, Biology)
- Elsie Widdowson (United Kingdom, Biology)
- Rachel Carson (United States, Biology).
Authors: Catherine Whitlock & Rhodri Evans
Dimensions & Weight: 240x160x30mm, 420g approx
Delivery costs are calculated at checkout and include the total weight of items within an order.
Orders are posted Mon - Weds. Standard post to Australian addresses will arrive within 5 - 7 working days from dispatch date.
For international delivery, please allow an additional 14 days