The Australian Museum’s Mission is to ignite wonder, inspire debate and drive change. We are committed to improving community understanding of climate change and demonstrating how we can protect and conserve the natural environment.
Shopping with us directly supports our mission as we aim to be a leader in sustainable retailing. We are working with suppliers to find solutions to challenges such as excess packaging, single-use plastics, and ethical and sustainable sourcing.
What we’ve done so far:
- We don’t offer single-use plastic carry bags in our shop.
- We’re working with suppliers to reduce or eliminate unnecessary plastics and packaging in their shipping to us, and in the products we sell to you.
- We only use biodegradable cellophane cellulose bags and FSC® certified paper and board in our own products and packaging.
- Behind the scenes, we sort and reuse nearly all of the packaging we received in deliveries, and we ensure anything we can’t reuse goes to the correct recycling stream, directing as little as possible to landfill.
- We reuse bubble wrap we have received, and only buy 100% recycled or recyclable alternatives.
- Orders shipped are sent in reused boxes and new boxes are 100% FSC® certified cardboard.
- Our shipping bags and padded mailers are reused, and new ones are compostable.
- We’re focused on ethical and sustainable sourcing and work with suppliers to interrogate supply chains and product provenance.
- We champion ethical buying of Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander art and products. All works are acquired directly from makers or owned art centres throughout Australia, and suppliers who are signatories to the Indigenous Art Code.
We know there’s more to do, and we continue to seek and implement better solutions for the planet and our customers.